Welcome to the College of Integrative Veterinary Therapies! We are thrilled you have come to natural medicine so early in your career and we want to encourage and inspire you to learn more. As a way of inviting you to participate the annual membership fee is FREE until the end of the first year following graduation- but you must become a member before you graduate! Take advantage of this opportunity because there aren't too many more things in life that are free! Veterinary Student membership of CIVT is available to all currently enrolled veterinary students.
CIVT Veterinary Student membership benefits:
- An opportunity to network with other veterinary students interested in integrative therapies
- Access to our electronic Journal of CIVT
- Support and mentoring contacts from veterinarians in the field, this may help with your placements
- Network with other veterinary student groups interested in Integrative Veterinary Medicine
- Access to the American Botanical Medicine Library including:
- HERBALGRAM ONLINE Access the archives of the peer-reviewed journal of the American Botanical Council. Search back to 1990 by issue, author, department, or text. Read the full article text. Includes a wide range of topics including features, clinical updates, legal/regulatory, market reports, etc.
- HERBCLIPTM ONLINE Summaries and critical reviews of seminal articles on herbal medicine from popular and scientific literature around the world.
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS These herbs in this database are used for cosmetics, aromatherapy, and dietary supplements. The overviews highlight the historical and current uses, modern research from human clinical studies, and the future outlook which addresses the availability, market statistics, and sustainability of each plant (when available).
- COMMISSION E MONOGRAPHS The Complete German Commission E Monographs includes all 380 monographs listing approved uses, dosage, contraindications, side effects, drug interactions, and other therapeutic information. Browse the monographs or navigate using the numerous therapeutic indexes.
- EXPANDED COMMISSION E MONOGRAPHS Herbal Medicines: Expanded Commission E updates 107 of the Commission E monographs and expands them to include in-depth overviews, clinical research, extensive references, and additional information on dosage, administration, chemistry, and pharmacology. Arranged alphabetically by herb.
- HERBMEDPRO© Hyperlinked access to the scientific data underlying the use of herbs for health. Simple search by common or Latin herb name lists results by evidence of efficacy, warnings, methods of preparation, formulas/blends, and evidence of activity. Short summaries of clinical studies permit user to make easy selection. Studies are from Pub Med and other public domain locations.
As a veterinary student member of CIVT you will be part of a growing organisation, dedicated to the development of natural medicine and its integration into animal health care.
Even though membership is free, you will still need to register.
Download a free sample of CIVT's journal
The Journal of the College of Integrative Veterinary Therapies (JCIVT) is the first international veterinary publication addressing evidence based natural medicine for animals.
This is a modern, clinically relevant and peer reviewed journal, and is issued quarterly. JCIVT publishes material on all aspects of integrative veterinary therapies including case reports, research articles, research updates, book reviews, commentary and other relevant information. Copies are available to the entire Membership and Friends of CIVT, with limited sample copies available for those interested in finding out more and joining the College.
Download a sample of the Journal of the College of Integrative Veterinary Therapies for free, and read the full case study by Dr Steffi Van Der Laarse on a dog treated for clinical depression with the Chinese herbal formula, Xiao Yao San.