Welcome to the College of Integrative Veterinary Therapies! We have created a membership space where veterinarians can learn about the latest scientific evidence for integrative veterinary medicine from around the world. Our passion is to empower veterinarians to give the most effective care for their patients by bringing evidence based natural medicine into the mainstream.
Full membership of CIVT is only available to registered veterinarians. Veterinary Students can apply for Veterinary Student membership, for free.
Membership fee is AUS $118.00 (includes GST in Australia).
This includes access to the Natural Standards Database (individual subscription is normally $299.00US PLUS access to the American Botanical Council Library, professional membership normally $150-170US). This represents over $550.00 in value. Join now!
CIVT Full Membership benefits:
- An opportunity to network with other veterinarians practicing integrative medicine
- Free Clinical Case Help join your colleagues and Dr Steve Marsden in dealing with the most difficult cases, (you need to register separately for this)
- A Certificate of membership for the current year suitable for framing
- Use the letters MCIVT after your name, this identifies your committment to integrative veterinary medicine and to continuing education in this field
- Access to Discussion forums with your colleagues for help on cases or general discussion- Social Foum, Interesting Cases, History, Philosophy and Ethics in Integrative medicine, Legislation and regulation around the world, Integrative Practice Management, Ideas.
- A listing in our public referral area (for full members only) with practice contact details listed on the website
- Networking with other veterinary organisations to promote the practice of integrative veterinary medicine
- Support for research in integrative veterinary medicine
- Access to the Journal of CIVT (JCIVT)
- Access to all Natural Standards Evidence Based Databases. Check Out the Natural Standard Database
- Access to the American Botanical Medicine Library including:
- HERBALGRAM ONLINE Access the archives of the peer-reviewed journal of the American Botanical Council. Search back to 1990 by issue, author, department, or text. Read the full article text. Includes a wide range of topics including features, clinical updates, legal/regulatory, market reports, etc.
- HERBCLIPTM ONLINE Summaries and critical reviews of seminal articles on herbal medicine from popular and scientific literature around the world.
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS These herbs in this database are used for cosmetics, aromatherapy, and dietary supplements. The overviews highlight the historical and current uses, modern research from human clinical studies, and the future outlook which addresses the availability, market statistics, and sustainability of each plant (when available).
- COMMISSION E MONOGRAPHS The Complete German Commission E Monographs includes all 380 monographs listing approved uses, dosage, contraindications, side effects, drug interactions, and other therapeutic information. Browse the monographs or navigate using the numerous therapeutic indexes.
- EXPANDED COMMISSION E MONOGRAPHS Herbal Medicines: Expanded Commission E updates 107 of the Commission E monographs and expands them to include in-depth overviews, clinical research, extensive references, and additional information on dosage, administration, chemistry, and pharmacology. Arranged alphabetically by herb.
- HERBMEDPRO© Hyperlinked access to the scientific data underlying the use of herbs for health. Simple search by common or Latin herb name lists results by evidence of efficacy, warnings, methods of preparation, formulas/blends, and evidence of activity. Short summaries of clinical studies permit user to make easy selection. Studies are from Pub Med and other public domain locations.
Full members also have full access to Resources including:
- Talk newsletter back copies
- Veterinary Materia Medica (in development)
- Clinical Resources
- Member news
- Member only surveys
As part of the future phases of our website development, we will be extending your membership benefits to access the CIVT library with access to journal articles and resources.
As a member of CIVT you will be part of a growing organisation, dedicated to the development of natural medicine and its integration into veterinary medicine.
(Please note: We might contact you after your application has been reviewed. We hope you won't be offended if we ask you to verify your status as a veterinarian to be entitled to full membership.)
Download a free sample of CIVT's journal
The Journal of Integrative Veterinary Therapies (JIVT) is the first international veterinary publication addressing evidence based natural medicine for animals.
This is a modern, clinically relevant and peer reviewed journal, and is issued quarterly. JIVT publishes material on all aspects of integrative veterinary therapies including case reports, research articles, research updates, book reviews, commentary and other relevant information. Copies are available to the entire Membership and Friends of CIVT, with limited sample copies available for those interested in finding out more and joining the College.
Download a sample of the Journal of Integrative Veterinary Therapies for free, and read the full case study by Dr Steffi Van Der Laarse on a dog treated for clinical depression with the Chinese herbal formula, Xiao Yao San.